Sunday, January 8, 2012

Resolutions

I know I'm way behind on posting about my New Year's resolutions. I think that mostly is because I had not a clue what my resolutions were going to be this year. And by this year I mean ever ;) I never make New Year's resolutions. I don't really have a reason as to why I don't, I just never have before. I thought I'd "give it a go" this year.

When thinking about resolutions I Googled synonyms for the word resolution. This is what Thesaurus.com tells me: (the ones that stuck out to me, at least) Resolution - aim, boldness, declaration, fixed purpose, intent, stubbornness, & willpower.

I decided that I wanted to have a few resolutions this year - for myself. I want to have realistic expectations. I know a lot of people make resolutions and then fail at them on January 3 and they give up from there. I think that's the "mindset" of all resolutions. Maybe that's the way of thinking attached to the word resolution itself - "do well everyday or fail and give up"???

So here are a few of my goals.

1)Be healthier.
This goal encompasses a couple different things. My aim is to start making healthier decisions with food and working out. Such as, I'd like to drink less pop and more water. I think it is unrealistic for me to say I'm going to stop drinking pop because I don't see that happening :) My real goal is to start a couch to 5k program and become a runner. If you know me well then you know I've always desired to be a runner. But the truth of the matter is I'd rather pull each of the hairs on my head out one by one. I hate running. But now that I've had a baby - I need to be healthier. I don't want to say I want to lose X amount of weight in 2012. I just want my goal to be to be healthier than I currently am now.

2) Read my Bible more often.
I've never been good at this one. It's terrible of me to say but at least I can admit it. I even have a Bible for Hadley laying out thinking I'll read her a story every day, but I even forget to do that. I need to just start making it a part of our morning routine.

3) Blog more often.
I want to blog more often because I feel better when I do. I feel like things I've been thinking or things that have been bothering me are suddenly gone. Everyone needs some sort of a escape or release. Some people's escape is exercise. Some people's escape is working / their job. Mine seems to be writing things down. I always feel clear headed when I press "Publish Post."

4) Clean some part of the house at least once a day.
I'm a messy person. No surprise there! I get things out and I don't put them away. When I change clothes I throw the others on the floor. When I take off my shoes I leave them wherever I take them off all over the house. It's a problem - REALLY! I need to get this under control. My house would be neater on a daily basis if I would just put stuff away :)

5) Fold & put away laundry daily so it doesn't pile up.
Laundry! UGH! Laundry is the biggest thorn in my side. I despise it. I despise it so much so that I won't fold or put it away for weeks days. Yes, I am admitting this on the WORLD WIDE WEB! My problem with household chores is anything that is a multi-step-process. Laundry is a FOUR-step-process. You have to wash the clothes. You have to switch the clothes to the dryer. You have to fold the clothes. Then you have to put the clothes away!! And you have lost your ever lovin' mind if you think I iron them! I mean COME ON! By the time I actually fold "Gibson clothes mountain" it takes me about two hours or longer to fold it all and put it all away. I'm not even lying. Just thinking about it crawls all over me. My goal this year is to do it little by little. I always tell myself I will fold the clothes as soon as they are dry so they don't pile up. Yeah - never happens! But this year I'm really hoping to change that problem. I can't live like this... LOL!

Well, since this post has now turned more into a confession list than a resolution list - I'm done. Who knows what I'll say at this point!

2 comments:

  1. These are great resolutions, Heather. I would love to run some 5ks with you:) You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your resolution post! You can do this and your right people fail for a week or so and don't get back at it. That's not failure that's just slacking off. If it happens then just get back on the horse and start again! I'm excited to do a run with you as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking a little peek into my life. I'd love to hear from you :)